Saturday 19 September 2015

(Un)ravelling (frida)


i
Separated by the partying crowd, I saw
you mouthing consonants and vowels to me
I had to stitch together to understand: I love you.
It was only after we moved closer to each other, fighting
our way through the throng, and finally
gained the distance between us,
that I realised what you were (sooth)saying: I left you.

ii
The things that don’t matter now, they are
water under the bridge
you and I are burning
from each end. In the end,
there will only be water, but not a drop to spare
either of us from the rest
(-ive embers) of ourselves.

iii
What the water will do: dissolve
our fraying illusions into ashen dregs, in which
we can read the mystery of the kinship between
unravelling and its deceitful sibling, ravelling — twins,
whose other names are distance and desire.

Zhang, Jieqiang. “(un)ravelling.” QLRS 11.4 (2012): n.p. Web. 17 Sept. 2015. <http://www.qlrs.com/poem.asp?id=965>

- upper sec
- love, growing out of love

- wordplay, alliteration, significance of parentheses, imagery

No comments:

Post a Comment