Saturday 19 September 2015

Untitled (On Racial Privilege) by Alfian Sa'at

Untitled (On Racial Privilege) by Alfian Sa'at
May 18, 2014
  1. I can turn on the television or open up the newspapers and see people of my race widely represented.
  2. When I am told about our national heritage or about civilization, I am shown that mostly people of my color made it what it is.
  3. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a hawker centre and find the foods that fit with my cultural traditions, into a cinema and find films in my mother tongue or at least subtitled in it.
  4. I can choose concealer, blemish cover or bandages in flesh color that more or less matches my skin.
  5. I can sit in public transport without wondering if the reason why nobody is taking the seat beside me is because I am thought of as being dirty or smelly.
  6. I can look at a list of schools to choose to go to after my PSLE and not wonder whether they offer my mother tongue as part of their curriculum.
  7. I can approach a recruitment booth for the air force or navy without having someone awkwardly tell me that it is an unsuitable career for me. (If they are more honest they will say I am unsuitable for it).
  8. I can read job advertisements without worrying whether or not I would qualify for some racial or language preference set down by the employers.
  9. I can swear, or dress in second-hand clothes, or turn up late without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, poverty or ‘bad attitude’ of my race.
  10. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
  11. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
  12. I can go home from most meetings or organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in rather than isolated, out of place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared. 


(Still unsure about what racial privilege is? Here's a checklist, adapted from Peggy McIntosh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment